Is Your Marketing Company Ignoring You?
Is Your Marketing Company Ignoring You? It’s sometimes amazing to us how often a business owner tells us that they feel ignored and under served by their existing marketing company. In fact, it’s one of the reasons that people start working with us. They are totally unsatisfied with their existing agency. Unfortunately, it’s not just in the world of marketing, people often feel like their service provider is not listening to them. It just happens to be very prevalent in marketing.
Watch this week’s Duct Tape and Popsicle Sticks video: “Is Your Marketing Company Ignoring You?”
We hear all the time that marketing companies don’t return calls, emails, or texts in a timely fashion, if at all. It’s quite difficult to make progress if there isn’t an open line of communication.
Another common frustration is that feeling you get when someone is forcing a product or service on you that you simply might not need. This happens a lot when a provider only offers a single product or service, such as, paid search, web design, social media marketing, or SEO. As they say, when you’re a hammer, everything looks like a nail. In many cases, these forced products or services end up producing nothing for the client.
A big complaint we hear is that their marketing company won’t provide them with reporting and statistics. In some cases, there may not be detailed reporting capabilities, but there is always a way to get some information on your campaign. Your marketing company should always have some data, or at the very least be able to point you in the direction of where to find out how your campaign is performing.
Some ways you can help mitigate the risk of being ignored by your marketing company:
- Don’t let them argue with you and make excuses. Again, the data is always readily available to them. Don’t allow them to offer you smoke and mirrors.
- Be very clear with upfront expectations (on both sides).
- Hold them to account to promises they’ve made. Often, a substandard marketing company will give you all sorts of reasons why the campaign isn’t working but hesitate to put the blame on themselves. Be aware of this and stay on them.
- Don’t let them tell you that current reporting is not available. It’s definitely available, especially when it comes to Adwords or paid social media advertisements. Reporting on Smart Ads is limited, but your agency should tell you they are going this route when you sign on with them.
- Don’t work with companies who only offer 1 product or service as your primary marketing partner. They may sell you things that won’t work for you.
- Nip these challenges in the bud early. They will only get worse.
If you have any questions about this or would like to talk to us about your marketing strategy, please feel free to reach out. We’d love to talk with you.
Recent article: Marketing Starts with a Plan
Watch on YouTube
E Circle Marketing is a digital marketing agency in Manchester, CT that offers a variety of digital marketing services to small businesses